Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

What started out as a perfect, wonderful, awesome, excellent day turned into somewhat of a nightmare.  The boys and I woke up, got dressed and I made homemade blueberry muffins with streusal topping.  They were (to quote Rachel Ray) delish!!  We at our breakfast on the back porch in the glorious sunshine.  I sipped my coffee and thought about how good God is.  After we ate, the boys took their plates in to the sink and came back outside.  We played outside for over an hour.  No fighting, no arguing.  Just peace and joy.  The type of day a mom DREAMS about.

Then, like a light switch was flipped, the day turned upside down.  Danny decided that he was going to make lunch.  I helped him to get the lunch meat out of the fridge and noticed it was warm.  I felt all of the things in the fridge...  warm, warm, warm.  I looked in the freezer and the ice cream had started to melt.  Ughh!!!  My fridge was dead.   I did some calling and found out that all of the repair people in our area were busy until Monday.  After more calling, I was able to procure a working fridge, but it couldn't be delivered until tomorrow.  So I got out all of my coolers, ran to the store to get ice and proceeded to pack everything perishable in coolers.

By this time, I was really starting to stress out and I think the boys could feel it because they started fighting, arguing and generally being nasty to one another and to me.  I started to get a stomache ache and was fighting back the tears.  I know that cleaning out the fridge doesn't seem like a huge job, but when you are supporting a family of 3 on limited resources, losing a fridge full of food is a scary thought.  Of course, the more I started to panic, the nastier the boys got to one another.  Then I had a brilliant idea...  I would post my dilemma on Facebook.  Within minutes, I had people calling me and offering to help me.  A woman whom I had never met in real life came to my rescue.  She is a neighbor of my cousin Kelsie.  Kelsie has told me that she thought that we would be fast friends as we have so much in common and she was so right.  Eileen came over and started helping me clean and she and I talked and talked and talked.  She and I are living parallel lives.  What a comfort to be able to meet with someone who really, really understands what I'm going through.

After cleaning out the fridge and packing it, miraculously it kicked on again.  I decided to stay with my original plan to have a new fridge put in as the old one is definitely not reliable.

While Eileen and I were visiting, my friend from church, Sarah called.  She told me that her husband Daniel had been thinking about seeing if Joey and Danny wanted to play tonight after he got out of work.  My kids adore Daniel and Sarah so I told her yes, yes, yes!!  They came over and played with the boys and helped to retrieve Joey's remote control airplane from the neighbor's roof.


After looking back on my "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day", I realized that it wasn't so terrible after all.  It maybe was a little stressful, well okay,  a lot stressful, but God certainly provided above and beyond what I needed.  He gave me a phenomenal morning with my boys.  He provided me with a working fridge to replace that the one that died.  He gave me a new friend who really understands what I'm going through.  He gave the kids a fabulous male role model to rough house with and to help us get the airplane down.  And then tonight ended very well.  We had dinner, the boys took baths and I got to get outside to shoot an amazing sunset.  Danny fell asleep in my arms and Joey fell asleep cuddled beside me.

I think perspective has a lot to do with how we view the quality of our lives.  I allowed my perspective to be skewed while I was stressed out, however, when I look back on the circumstances, I realize that all of my needs were provided.  The day may not have gone exactly how I envisioned it this morning, but it ended with me seeing how good God is and how He is in control and is taking care of me.  Praise God for his goodness.

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1

1 comment: