Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday the 13th -- My lucky day

I am not superstitious about this day in the least, but coincidentally, today has been another crazy day that had a really nice ending.  We woke up this morning and the boys played with Bear most of the morning.  It is amazing what one tiny creature can do for the mood of a normally grumpy 6 year old.  Danny loves Bear but is not obsessed by him.  Joey, however, adores this kitten and the kitten adores him.  Several times today, Bear just climbed up in Joey's lap and fell asleep.  When he wasn't sleeping, he was raising a raucous in our home, so his personality is much like Joey's.  That's probably why they get along so well.

I had two former students who are sisters come to watch Joey today while I went to bring Danny to a doctor's appointment and then to get my hair cut.  The doctor's appointment went well and then I was on my way to get my hair cut when the AC/Heat would not turn on in my car.  There was absolutely no fan working in the temperature control mechanism.  Fabulous.   At least, it was a beautiful day so I could put the windows down.

I called the babysitters and asked if they could watch Joey a little while longer so I could get my car fixed.  I got my hair cut by the fabulous Felicia at JC Penney's at the Bangor Mall.  If you are in the Bangor area and need a hairstylist, she gets my top rating.  She is truly a miracle worker.  She asked what I wanted and I said short and sassy.  That's what I got and I LOVE it.

My next stop was over to Swett's Automotive.  I pulled the car in and explained the problem and they said that they'd take a look.  Two and a half hours later, they came out and said that all of my fuses were checking out fine, but there was one $16 part that was suspiciously warm and they suspected that was the culprit.  They reported that this part frequently wears out and they think that it could be what caused my fan to fail, however, the fan was currently working.  They wanted to know what I wanted to do, so I had the replace the part since I was there.  In my mind, I did some quick calculations:  2.5 hours@$77/hr. and they weren't even sure of the problem.  Ummm... but it was working now, so I was happy about that.  In about 10 minutes they reported that the part was replaced and everything appeared to be working.  I was expect a bill of around $200.  The technician came out and said, "That will be $76.16".  I actually said "Are you sure?" and he said "absolutely".  Okay, you don't have to tell me again.  This is the second time in the last year I've been to Swett's and both times, I feel they have treated me more than fairly.  Kudos!!

I then got Danny and went home.  By this time my wonderful friend Lori had come over to play with Joey since my babysitters had to go home.  I visited with her a few minutes and then put the kids in the car to head down to my former church, Calvary Chapel Trenton.  It was about a 45 minute drive.  Just outside of Brewer, the traffic slowed way down and we saw a man rolling a HUGE ball that looked like the planet Earth on the side of the road.  It had backed traffic up for about 2 miles.  I was curious as to what this was, so I did a Google search and I found this on YouTube.  This is definitely the same Planet Earth ball that I saw.  I have no clue what it was for, but it certainly slowed everyone down to take notice.  Weird.

We arrived in Trenton and I got to visit with my CC Trenton church family. I have missed everyone soooo much!  I love my CC Bangor/Orrington family, but it was so nice to be able to visit with you all again.  What a blessing and my kids had a fabulous time.  They had their faces painted.  Joey was a Tiger and Danny was a dog.  They both went to bed with their masks on tonight because they didn't want to take them off.  Hopefully they will wash off in the shower in the morning.

Today had the potential to be a very bad day, but it turned out to be lovely.  God knew my needs and again was faithful to provide for everything today.  From the little things like my fabulous hair stylist to the big things like the fact my car could have cost me a lot of $$, He provided for me.  He provided wonderful people to care for my kids so I could get things done.  He gave me a good laugh with the man rolling the giant Earth ball.  (If we were created in God's image, He must have quite a sense of humor.) He also gave me the gift of fellowship with so many people in my last church family.  I would never have known about it if it wasn't posted on FaceBook.  Fellowship is so important in a Christian walk.  At the event at the church, He also provided wonderful teaching with Aaron Dudley.  I hadn't had a chance to really read my Bible today as Danny was up at 5 a.m. so he could play with Bear, so I was blessed enough to hear some wonderful teaching.

God does this for me everyday.  He provides in so many ways that I can't count.  I can't help but be in awe for all that He does for me.  Praise Him for His provision.

"And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."  Phillipians 4:19

1 comment: