Saturday, August 14, 2010

Family

  

What does the word family mean to you?  I'm just curious as to what other people think of when they think of family.  I have recently changed my entire perception of the word.  I used to think that your family consisted of the people you were either related to by blood or by legal procedure.  For example, I was born into a family that consisted of my mom, dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.  I am so blessed to have been born into an incredible family.  I loved spending time during my childhood at my grandparents houses with my cousins.  We had incredible family holidays and just enjoyed each other's company.

When I grew up, my family was extended by my marriage.  I married and my husband became part of my family and then he and I adopted our children.  I am not related by blood to any of these people, but for the past 6 years, it has felt like we were a family and none of us is related by blood. 

Now, my nuclear family will be myself and my boys.  My boys will also have a family with themselves and their father and whomever else he seeks to have in his life.  My boys have grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins on their father's side.  I love my in-laws.  I am sad that my marriage is coming to an end, however, I know that they will always be a part of my family.  The one thing we will always have in common is my wonderful children.  I am so glad that my husband has a sister and step-sisters and a stepbrother.  This will give my children aunts, uncles and cousins.  As an only child, I was always worried that my children would never have cousins.  I was so close to my cousins growing up and they were such an important part of my childhood that I desperately wanted my children to have the same experience.

I realized today that they will that experience from me as well.  We went to a birthday party for my friend Jen's son today.  I realized when I was there that I was truly a part of this family.  Jen's mother has listened to me as I've struggled with going through divorce.  I told Jen the last time I got off the phone with her mother that I felt like I was speaking with my own mother.  Jen has always been like a sister to me and her kids have always felt like my neice and nephew.  Jen's sister Trish has always felt like a sister to me as well and I adore her children.  As a matter of fact, Joey loves Trish's son so much he cried in the car on the way home tonight.  He asked over and over again when they could see each other again.  They are truly my family and I love them very much.

I also have a church family.  When my husband and I separated, I received so much support and love from my church family.  God provided people I could talk with when I needed someone to lend an ear, he provided help with moving and things that needed to be done around the house and most importantly, he provided people to pray for me and with me.  My church family is INCREDIBLE!!  I love each and everyone one of them very much.

I feel that the people I work with also make up my family.  I am privileged to work with an incredibly loving and compassionate faculty who has proven over and over again that they are truly family.  Last year when I was ill and had to be hospitalized for a weird stomach virus, one of my colleagues came to my house in the middle of the night to watch my kids so I could go by ambulance to the ER.  The next day they had arranged transportation and child care for my kids so I didn't have to worry about a thing.  They prepared meals for me and assured that someone would be at with me when I came home from the hospital.  They are amazing and I love each and everyone of them very much.

The last way God has provided for me is my Bonus Mom Barbara.  Most people would call her a step mom, but she's more than that.  I call her my Bonus Mom because that's exactly what she is.  Sandra Pratt was my mom and no one could ever take her place.  Barbara understands that completely, however, Barbara has become a very special mother to me and that's why I call her my Bonus Mom because that's exactly what she is.  A bonus is something positive that happens that you weren't expecting.  I was never expecting to have another mother figure in my life and now I have Barbara, Jen's mother Judy and my aunt Maggie.  Each one of them fills a small part of the void my mom left when she went to heaven.  I love each one of them very, very much!

God is certainly amazing.  I've spoken lately about God's provision in my life.  Like Job, I feel that God has taken so much from me.  In the past 10 years, I have lost 3 grandparents, both parents and my husband.  I have never had biological siblings, so my closest biological relatives are aunts, uncles, cousins and one grandmother.  However, I have an amazing and vast extended family.  Family is so much more than people that share your blood line or people that you are related to by law.  Your family is made up of people that care deeply about your well being and are willing to provide emotional, physical and spiritual support when you need it most.  Praise God for my family!!


"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."  ~John 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment