Friday, August 20, 2010

Snotty kisses, giggles and cuddles



My boys were up wayyyy too early this morning.  Joey woke up at around 5:30 and came downstairs and crawled in bed with me.  Danny was woke up at 6:00 a.m. and came downstairs and crawled in bed with us.  We all were starting to doze back off and I thought, "Awesome!!  Another hour of sleep."  And then Bear decided to join the party.  Of course, there's no going back to sleep when there's an 11 week kitten attacking your feet, hair, jammies and anything else that you can get to move.  The boys took turns screeching and diving under the covers as Bear approached.

I'll have to be honest, I was NOT amused.  I was so excited that they both quietly got in bed with me and then the darn cat had to break the reverie.  Why did I think getting a kitten was a good idea again?  I know that he is stinkin' adorable and he loves to cuddle and purr loudly in my ear when I'm sleeping, but wanting to play at 6:00 a.m. when we could have slept another hour.  Grrr...

I was so tired that I closed my eyes and listened to my boys shriek and giggle.  I started to think "How many more mornings do I have like this?"  Danny just turned four and Joey is six.  When does it start to be uncool to get in bed  mom and play and giggle with brother?   When will I think it's disgusting that brother puts his arm around me and says, "I love you?"  When will I start to feel uncomfortable giving mom kisses in the morning?  Will I have 10 more mornings like this, 20, 5????  Only God knows.

What I do know is that time is passing way too fast.  Just yesterday we were bringing Joey home from the hospital.  How can it be that he's going into first grade?  And how can it be that my baby is going into Pre-K?  I keep telling them that they can stop growing anytime, but they don't listen to me.

So, instead of being angry or upset with my kids, I laid in my bed enjoying the snotty kisses, silly giggles and warm cuddles.  I savored each one of them because before long my boys will be grown up and I will no longer have that experience.  Praise God for every early morning cuddle even if I'm exhausted.  I can sleep after my sons are married.  For now, give me every second I can get with them.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven"  ~Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment