Sunday, August 15, 2010

On Being Content

It is hard to be content in our current situation.  It seems we always want what we cannot have and as human beings, we live our lives thinking "If I only had this" or "If I only had that."  We are never content in the moment unless maybe we are lying on a beach somewhere soaking up the rays as the cool ocean breezes blow gently in our hair and they we think, "If only it could be like this forever."

I have had to learn lately to be content in my current situation.  I won't lie to you.  Being a single parent of two very, very busy boys is really, really hard.  It's exhausting and never ending.  You never get a moment to yourself.  As a matter of fact, as I type this, I have a 6 year old screeching in the living room and a 4 year old playing trucks on my bed.  As I typed this sentence, they both asked for a cookie.  I'm sure by the time I get to the end of this entry, I will have had many more interruptions.  As a matter of fact, I just had to break up a fight over a cookie and put one of my children in time out for being sassy.  See what I mean, my job never ends.

As difficult and as challenging as it is to single parent, I am content.  I adore my boys and I love my life.  It is not the way I envisioned it, but God's plans seldom are our plans.  My life is so full and rich.  God is such an amazing Father, Husband, Provider, Healer, Creator, Maker, Lover of my Soul and Friend.  How can my life be anything other than full and rich?  Even If I had nothing, He is all I need to have a wonderful life.

This morning in church, our Pastor taught from 1 Corinthians 7.   A lot of the message really spoke to me, but the part that stood out the most was that if you remain single, you can focus on the Lord and not have to divide your attention between the Lord and your spouse.  Of course as a single parent, my attention needs to be focused on the Lord and my children, but I have been so blessed these last few months to be able to spend so much more time with the Lord.  God has shown me so much and I have grown in leaps and bounds.  My relationship with Him is stronger than it has ever been. As wonderful as this is, my flesh was still adamantly opposing the thought at being single for the rest of my life.  As the pastor was teaching, I was screaming in my head "NO GOD, I DON'T WANT TO BE SINGLE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.  I WANT A GODLY MAN WHO WILL LOVE YOU, LOVE ME AND LOVE MY KIDS.  PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T LET ME BE SINGLE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE."  Just as that thought came through my head, I heard a still, small voice whispering.  "My child, my grace is sufficient for thee."  Again, I started to argue, but I realized that it was pointless.

The Bible is right.  God's grace should be all that I need.  If I am looking for anyone or anything to fill that hole or that void in my life, I will never find what I need.  All I need is God.  He loves me and will care for me more than anyone or anything else ever could.  My relationship with Him is sufficient.  If he does choose to bless me with a Godly man someday than that's a bonus.  In the mean time, I need to focus solely on my walk with the Lord and how much He loves me.  That is truly all I need.  Everything else is simply a demonstration of His love for me.  God's love and grace is all I need and I need to remember that each day.

And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  ~2 Corinthians 1:29

3 comments:

  1. "Everything else is simply a demonstration of His love for me." So true! That's very insightful!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Judi. I remember feeling exactly the way you describe above. I am reminded that even in my married state, I need to still have God be my first love or I will end up miserable. I have been struggling with a bad attitude and need to get back on my knees...
    Hugs,
    Sue (susank)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judi - It wasn't that long ago that Carl and I felt the same way! We both know the waiting is painful, but it's sooooo worth waiting for a Godly spouse!! Even when it takes God "forever" to answer that prayer. :D

    Blessings,
    Debbie Severance

    ReplyDelete