Friday, August 6, 2010

One word "Bedtime" -- or is it two?

I have to say that bedtime is the time of day I both look forward to the most and dread the most at the same time.  I love it because I just want them in bed, sound asleep so mommy can have a little quiet time and possibly get a few things done.  I dread it the most because my children do not like to go to bed and I know that's completely normal.  After all, what 4 and 6 year old boy jumps for joy when they hear the words, "It's time to go to bed boys."  I know my kids are completely normal, but that doesn't help when I've been up with them since the crack of dawn, I've gone grocery shopping, gone to doctor's appointments, done errands, paid bills, made breakfast, lunch and dinner (okay tonight we had pizza) done laundry, given baths and given hugs and kisses galore.  At 8 p.m., when I know they're exhausted because I'M exhausted, they should magically go up the stairs, brush teeth, get in jammies and go to bed as a sign of gratitude to their mom for all the hard work to keep all three of our lives running relatively smoothly.  That NEVER happens.  Usually it goes something like this.  "It's time to go to bed, boys."  Then the negotiating begins... "But mom, can I have five more minutes to play?"  "Mom, I'm hungry, can I have a snack before we go to bed?"  "Mom, I'm thirsty, can I have a drink?"  and so on and so on...

So tonight, I gave the five minute warning for bed, then the two minute warning, and then the 1 minute warning during said warning I stated. "Get drinks, snacks, etc. now because you will not get them in 1 minute."  They sort of listened and went up the stairs with minor amounts of arguing, bickering, crying, fussing and complaining.  Both boys got undressed and got into bed.  I went in and rubbed Danny's back until I thought he was drowsy and then I went into Joey's room.  Joey can be a very pensive child.  He thinks a lot about "what if" situations.  Tonight's "what if" is something I've heard before.  He said, "Mama, what if you died?  What would happen to me and Danny?".  We went through all of the people in their lives that would love and take care of them if something happened to me.  You have to understand that we have had a lot of loss in our lives in recent years including my mom who passed away 3 years ago and my dad who passed away in February.  So death is a very real concept to Joey.  He gets it as much as any 6 year old can.  He then said, "Mom, can I pray?"  and I told him that of course he could.  His prayer was so sweet.   "Dear God, Thank you for this day.  If you see Grammie Sandra and Grampa Gil today, can you tell them that Joey loves and misses them?  Also, tell Grampa Gil that I can swim now and tell Grammie Sandra that Mommy can make cookies like her.  And God, help my Mommy not to die like Grammie Sandra and Grampa Gil.  Help her to be around for a long, long time.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen".  He then finished his prayer and said, "Mom was that okay?"  Too which I responded through tears "That was beautiful, Joey".  He then rolled over and tried to go to sleep.

As much as I wanted my mommy quiet time, I wouldn't have wanted to miss that prayer for the world.  At bedtime, I wanted to just go upstairs and tell Joey that I was tired and I wanted to go to bed.  I'm so glad I didn't do that because I would have missed the blessing of hearing his sweet prayer.  I have to remind myself daily that my children are only little once.  I can't stress out about the little, silly behaviors and the things that drive me crazy about them.  Instead, I need to let those things go and focus on the moments I have with them.  As much as I want and NEED my quiet time, I also need to remember to savor those sweet, sweet moments with my kids and not be too anxious to put them to bed.  God has blessed me so incredibly and abundantly.  I cannot lose that as my focus and I need to see every moment with my children even the frustrating moments as the precious gifts that they really are.  Praise God for my children!!

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.
Psalm 127:3

No comments:

Post a Comment