Thursday, August 5, 2010

I hate Legos!!!

We went to the center of the universe for most young boys "Toys R Us" tonight to buy a birthday gift for a party we're going to next weekend.  While we were there, I gave each of the boys their allowance and let them pick out a toy.  Joey went first and picked out a large Lego Star Wars Battle Ship.  The price was well over $100.  I mean $100 for pieces of plastic that you have to put together yourself.  Get real!  I managed to explain that he didn't have enough money and directed him to the extremely small Lego sets that were under $15.  Joey picked out a small spaceship that I knew he could manage to assemble by himself.

Next it was Danny's turn to pick out his toy.  I tried with my best effort to get him to the isle with the matchbox cars.  I was hoping for him to pick out $1 car, but no such luck.  He looks up to his big brother and really wanted a Lego set like Joey's.  After much negotiation, we finally found a tow truck in our price range that didn't look too challenging.

After we got home, I tried to talk the boys into waiting until after dinner before opening the boxes, but you know how young kids are with new toys.  They started to open their boxes.  I warned them that the pieces were going to get mixed up and lost and we wouldn't be able to complete their kits, but as I was fixing dinner, both kids came out and were spread out all over our living room floor.  We ate our dinner and then the begging and pleading began.  "Mo-om, can you help me."  Let me just say this;  I HATE LEGOS.  My mind does not work well when it comes to directions.  I just don't think that way.  I miss steps, misread and generally mess up anything that requires you to follow directions.  At that point, I prayed for wisdom and knowledge directly from God as to how to help my boys complete their projects.

I started with Danny's Tow Truck.  Joey had started to help, but had missed several steps, so I disassembled all the work he had done very discreetly so he didn't see that he had erred and began to create the orange tow truck.  We first started with the base, added the different parts and pieces.  I worked on the truck for about an hour.  I'm not much for cursing or swearing, but I have to say, a few choice words went through my head at different stages of the creation.

Finally, the truck was complete.  Of course, the first thing Danny wanted to do was to play with it.  I explained to him that Lego toys break very, very easily and he needed to be very careful with it.  So he approached me and took the truck out of my hand and then walked across the room.  He had his eyes on his truck and didn't see pieces of Joey's starship on the floor.  He fell and dropped the tow truck which shattered on the floor.  I thought I was going to cry.  I just looked at him and he looked at me and being the good and patient mom that I am, I said "It's okay honey.  We'll fix it."  In my head were a few more of those choice words.

So after another half hour, the tow truck is back together.  Every 30 seconds or so Danny keeps bringing it to me for it to be fixed/ re-assembled.  But, he's happy.  As soon as I was done helping Danny, Joey said, "Hey Mom, can you help me now".  I have to say that I've been fairly content in my singleness, but tonight, it would have been nice to have a man around to help with this project.

The Legos got me thinking about God's heart toward me when my world is shattered or when things fall apart.  Just like I didn't want my little boy to be sad or frustrated, God must feel the same way toward us. As frustrating as it was, I truly had happiness helping my little boy put his toy together.  At times I was frustrated with my lack of ability to be able to decipher instructions, but my heart toward him was to assist him in putting his little world back together.  How much more does our father in Heaven love us and want to help us.  No matter how many times our lives fall apart, He's there to help us put things back together.  He picks up the pieces, re-assembles the parts and makes us whole again.  Praise God for His love for us.


The Lord directs the steps of the godly.  He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand. Psalm 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment