Sunday, August 29, 2010

Dancing under the Stars


My life has been absolutely insane lately and is about to get worse, but that's alright.  I've decided that life is meant to be lived and that may mean some days I'm so busy I can't see straight.  I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed and stressed at a few things.  The first is that I will be taking two Grad classes this semester.  I am 3 classes and a practicum away from my master's degree.  Because two of those three classes are fall classes, I really need to take both of those classes so I can graduate from college before Joey graduates from high school.  I also am getting ready to go back to school and am trying to get the kids ready to go back to school.  I know once we get into a routine everything will be okay, but trying to transition into that routine has been tough.

Lately, I have been more brave with my attempts to single parent.  I have decided that if I want to do something with the boys, I'm just going to do it.  I'm not going to let fear about what happens if I need another set of hands and I'm by myself rule my life.  Last night, I really wanted to go to the American Folk Festival.  This is the 10th year our city has hosted this festival.  It is really an amazing time to experience culture in our town and as I music teacher, I bask in the music, dancing and the atmosphere.  I packed the boys up in the car around 5 p.m and we headed down town.  We found a parking space about 1/4 mile from the site and got out.  I had put their little red wagon in the car, so they got in and we started off for the Festival.  I had brought drinks and snacks, but the food there is amazing.  It is from all different cultures from around the world.  We sampled Greek, Indian and Mexican food.  We then started to wander around.  The first event we watched was a parade led by the University of Maine Marching Band.  Being a former alumnus of the band, this was near and dear to my heart.  Both boys LOVED it so much we had to follow them through the parade route.  We stood behind the band at one point and watched as they put on a show.  Danny was fascinated by the Sousaphones and has declared that is the instrument he wants to play.  We then went to a concert performed by a Cajun Band.  The boys liked that, but were not as taken with it, so I looked on the schedule and noticed there was an urban / break dance performance.  We got there early and got seats in the front row.  Again, both boys were fascinated, but Danny especially LOVED the dancing.  He has an amazing creative side in his soul.  He loves music, dancing, singing, drama, etc.  He started dancing and at the end of the show, he was brought up front by one of the organizers of the event.  So cool!!  Seeing him strut his stuff in front of thousands of people brought tears to my eyes.  After the event, we met the performers and even followed them over to the dance tent where we boogied to salsa music under the stars.  We met up with my friend Trish and her husband George and we all danced up a storm.  My boys had so much fun.  Thanks Trish and George for the dance.  The kids are still talking about how much fun they had this morning.

I have to say that as I looked around at all of the couples and families last night, I was a little sad.  I so wish I had a partner with whom I  could share all of these sweet moments I'm having with my boys.  Then, I remember, that I do have a partner.  I went home and in prayer told the Lord about my amazing night even though He was there and knew all that happened.  I thanked Him for His love for me and for my boys.  Even if I never find a human being here on earth to fill that role for me again, I know that God is my Husband and the boys heavenly Father.  I can't help but think about the smile that was on His face as He saw Danny expressing his joy by dancing up a storm last night.  But, of course, He is the one that put the joy there in the first place.  Praise God for being there for me.

1 comment:

  1. Bob Tomato and Larry Cucumber have it right ... God made YOU special, and He loves YOU very much! (And thanks for letting US share these joys with your boys!)

    ReplyDelete