Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New Beginnings

I haven't blogged in a few days because I've been getting ready to go back to school.  We had Joey's first grade screening on Monday, Danny's pre-K orientation yesterday and I went back to school for two teacher workshops today and the boys started with a new babysitter this morning.  It's been quite a week of firsts already.

So, I'm not exactly thrilled about going back to school.  Don't get me wrong.  I ADORE my job, I love my students and I LOVE what I do.  I am truly blessed to be doing something that doesn't feel like work to me.  I have so much fun doing what I do.  However, I also LOVE being with my boys.  Every second with them is so precious as they grow up so fast.

There is something exciting about a new school year.  It is a fresh start, a new beginning.  Things are bright and clean and the students come into the school expecting to have their best year yet.  Some students do have wonderful years and some students, unfortunately, struggle to meet with success.  As a teacher, these students are often the ones that I'm drawn to.  I love to help a student find the keys to having a successful year.  It is so rewarding to teach them that when you make good choices, good things happen for you.  On the flip side, it is frustrating when you see your students making poor choices and then having to face the consequences of those choices.

I've made some poor choices in my life and have and are currently suffering the consequences.  I've also made some excellent choices and have reaped the benefits of those as well.  But, sometimes things happen and it has nothing to do with the choices I've made, but with the choices someone else has made and I've ended up getting hurt because of it.  I try to instill in my boys that their choices don't only effect their own lives, but the lives of the rest of the family as well.  How do you get that point across to a 4 and a 6 year old?  There are consequences for every decision we make.  We can say we're sorry, but unless we SHOW we're sorry in a very real and tangible way, those words are useless and pointless.

I'm praying that my boys can learn this lesson before they make choices that effect their own lives and  the lives of their loved ones.  Hopefully when they are adults, they will be able to see and predict what might happen and what might be the outcome of their decisions.  By having this type of vision, I pray that they will be happy and successful.

I woke up this morning a t 5:15 with every intention of exercising, but instead there was a magnificent sunrise so I headed out to the back forty and shot a few pics.  Enjoy.
"Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning." ~Lamentations 3:23

1 comment: