Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Money, money, money, money



One of the lessons of first grade math that most teachers, students and parents dread is the lesson on the almighty dollar or in particular, how to count the many confusing coins that we have in our american monetary system.  If you view the lesson like a 7 year old, it really doesn't make any sense that the dime is the smallest coin.  You'd think that the penny would be the smallest, followed by the nickel, the dime, the quarter, the half dollar and then the dollar coin.  However, that is simply not the case.  If you could sort by color, that would make sense also, but only the  penny is a different metal.  So, what's a mom to do when trying to teach the concept of money???

I was in the teacher's room at my school the other day and a fellow parent of another first grader was talking about the woes he was facing with this unit.  He and I commiserated for a while and then he mentioned to me that he was telling his son that any coins that were found were his if he could count them accurately.  Knowing my son's love of money, I figured that would be a great motivating factor as well, so I instituted the same policy at my house, however, I added a twist.  If he didn't count the money right the first time, it went into a "kitty" and once a day we would count the "kitty".  If he could count it accurately, he could keep it, if not, he had to wait until the end of the next day at which time there might be more money in it making the task even more difficult.  Joey soon learned to count the money accurately the first time.

So, Joey has spent the last several days counting money everywhere we find it.  When we go to the store, Joey can get the change (coins only).  If he counts them correctly, into his piggy bank they go, if not they go into the "kitty".  At Sam's club the other day, he just about tackled an elderly lady to get the dime under her foot.  Thank goodness she had a sense of humor.    He has been helping me with laundry and has cleaned out our couch about 10 times.  Counting money has turned into a game.  I think in his piggy bank, he probably has accumulated $3 or $4 so far.

Yesterday, we received a note home from school stating that the money unit was a relatively short unit time-wise, however, since most children were still struggling with many of the concepts, the teacher was going to extend the unit another week.  She asked if we would please review the concept with our children.  Attached to the note was our child's unit test over money so we could see how they did.  Well......, my little capitalist got a 100 on his test.  I was very proud of him as he has been working so hard.

I guess money does really make the world go round.   Next weekend, I will be teaching him how to give back.  I firmly believe to whom much is given, much is required.  We will be counting what is in his piggy bank and he will have to save 10% and donate 10%.  He was really good at making money, we shall see how good he is at giving it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment