Thursday, February 17, 2011

Am I my brother's keeper?



Yesterday was Joey's real birthday.  He is having his party with friends and family on Saturday, but yesterday was the actual day he turned 7.  I found some really cool gifts at Fat BrainToys and ordered them last week.  They came in via UPS on Tuesday night when Joey was up playing in his room.  Danny saw the box come in and watched where I put it.  He asked me what it was and I told him that it was some gifts for Joey's birthday.  Knowing he CANNOT keep a secret, when he asked what the gifts were, I told him a Barbie Doll and some My Pretty Pony toys.  Of course, he couldn't keep THAT a secret and ran right up and told Joey.  Joey looked at me and said, "You're lying, right?"  I said, "Well, you won't know until Saturday.

So, last night, I let Joey open one gift before we went out to dinner.  He opened the gift and he and Danny were quietly playing it in his room...  So I thought...

I was putting dishes away, reveling in the solitude and joy of my two children playing together peacefully, I came to the sudden realization that they were TOO quiet.  Most parents know that when your kids are excessively quiet and it's voluntary, it usually means they were up to something.  And guess what... they were.

Danny had gone into my closet, retrieved Joey's box of birthday gifts and had brought the box upstairs, where, apparently he told his brother that I said it was okay for him to open it because after all, it was his 'birfday'.

Joey didn't need much arm twisting, so he opened up all of his gifts.  They both were playing happily with his gifts when I went upstairs.  I'm glad that he liked the gifts, but it made me a little sad that I didn't get to see his face as he opened them.

I had a long talk with Danny about lying and a similar talk with Joey about common sense.  (why would mom send up a birthday gift and tell him to open it without being present.)

I had to smile.  It was sort of cute and again, served as a picture as to my own behavior and my own life.

I'm like Danny.  I can't stand not knowing what's in the box.  I'm constantly asking God to let me in on his plan.  Tell me the details.  I WANNA KNOW NOW!!!

I'm also like Joey.  I may not choose or seek out activities that I know I'm not supposed to do, but if someone presents it to me and tells me what I suspect is a not the truth, I may just say, "Okay, I believe you,"  even if I know they are not being truthful.  The truth is that I may say I can resist temptation, but when someone else gives me a good excuse, it's hard not to give in to it.

It's fun to watch my children's behavior because it is so reflective on many levels of my own actions.  I prayed last night to try to be more patient and to try to do what's right even though someone may present me with a good excuse as to why I shouldn't do something.

I'm excited for Joey's party on Saturday.  If you are attending the party on Saturday, please don't think I'm a horrible parent.  I really DID get my kid gifts, however, he's already opened them.   I'm so blessed that my little man is 7 years old.  I love him so much and enjoy watching him turn into the person he will become.  Hopefully, he's learned his lesson in patience and honesty.

Hopefully, I will learn the same lesson before I have my 80th birthday.

1 comment:

  1. you seem to be happy guy.! very lovely.! Like you, I bought a gifts from Innovatoys for my Brother.He acted like Joey, I glad that he like my gifts.! Thanks for share this.! Best wish for you.!

    ReplyDelete