Friday, June 3, 2011

Punk Cat

We have the best cat in the world named Bear.  He came into our lives as a kitten last summer and really helped Joey get through some difficult times.  Well Bear is no longer a kitten.  He is a full-fledged punk teenager who has made an enemy of another punk cat in the neighborhood who coincidentally could be his identical twin.

In late winter, I noticed an abscess on Bear's paw.  We brought him to the vet and sure enough, he had been in a fight.  They cleaned the abscess, cut off Bear's male parts and he healed. I thought since Bear was now an "it" instead of a fully endowed male, he might fight less.  I was wrong.

About a month later, Bear came in with a HUGE abscess on his right haunch.  Back to the vet we went and this time he had to have major surgery to clean it out, a 4 inch scar and about 20 stitches.  After about 3 weeks, he was mostly healed up.  We had been very careful about keeping him in, but one night, he escaped.  I didn't even know he was out and at about 12:30 a.m. I heard a low guttural cat moan.  Sure enough, Bear and his arch nemesis were at it again.    When I finally did catch up with him, his almost heal scar had been entirely torn open and was deep.  I cried and cried and was seriously about ready to but a "for sale" sign on him.  If he hadn't been such a help to Joey when he was going through tough times last summer, the cat would have gone to a different house.

So now you've had the background info on Bear, let's move this story ahead to last night.  Bear was inside sleeping on my bed at 11 p.m. when I fell asleep.  At about 4:30 a.m., I hear that low guttural cat fight moan.  In my half asleep state of existence, I jumped out of bed ready to go outside to break up yet another cat fight only to realize that when I went to sleep, Bear was inside.  I have a sliding glass door from my bedroom out to a deck.  Bear was on the inside of the sliding glass door moaning at the other cat who was on the outside of the door moaning and hissing back.  I jumped up and hit the glass on the inside of the door hoping to scare the enemy cat.  The enemy cat wasn't scared in the least, backed up about three feet and proceeded to jump up onto a bench outside my bedroom door and curl up with his paws underneath his belly as if if to say, "I think I'll stay righ here."

I didn't want to run outside like a madwoman in my PJ's at 4:30 a.m. to scare him, but I had to do something since Bear was still on the inside of the door moaning and hissing, so I sent out my 16 year old blind and deaf Sheltie named Buddy to finish off the cat.  Buddy took one step out the door and then looked back at me like, "Now what do you want me to do?"  At that point I realized since he's blind and deaf that he didn't even see or hear the other cat, so I stomped my feet trying to scare the cat into moving.  The enemy cat let out one hiss and clawed at Buddy who promptly ran back inside and hid under my legs.  Yeah, that worked well.

I was beyond frustrated at that point.  I went out into the kitchen to find something to scare this cat away with.  In the meantime, Bear was getting worked up into a frenzy in my bedroom trying to show off his bravado.  The only thing I could find was Joey's Supersoaker, so I filled it with water and from the kitchen door, I blasted the cat.  Bear let out one final scream and then walked away from my door.


The arch nemesis cat still was hanging around my deck this morning.  If this keeps up, I may have to find a more powerful weapon.  Anyone have any ideas??

2 comments:

  1. Does he belong to anyone? If so, find them! Otherwise, call animal control to have the cat picked up.

    ReplyDelete