Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Must stay connected

As I type this on my new iPad with tho 3G technology, I'm sitting on a white rock in front of my camp. The water is gently lapping the shore while the twilight sets in in this longest day of the year for the northern hemisphere. I got out of school today and headed for my camp for a much needed brief respite. For years the only tv we had was a black and white one with barely enough reception for one channel.

Now, as I sit here, the satellite tv is on inside the camp and I am receiving Internet through a satellite miles above my location. This has all occurred within in the last 25 years. Technology makes our lives easier, keeps us connected to one another and is necessary for many aspects of life today. However, it sometimes separates us as well. For example, my kids are watching tv while I am typing this.

So, right now. I am going to press post, go inside, tun off the tv and bring my kids out to sit with me around the fire, which incidentally was one of if not the first method of modern technology we will talk aboutnour day and tell "when mama was young" stories. This very action will serve to connect em with my kids more than any technological advance of the 21st century and that's okay with me

No comments:

Post a Comment