Thursday, June 2, 2011

I fought the lawn and I won, I fought the lawn and I won.

Last year, I had so many battles being a single mom with a nice new home with a beautiful backyard and trying to maintain the lawn.  I love to garden and I love having a beautiful place to find some peace and quiet, but just like when my house gets messy, I get stressed, when my lawn gets too long or my garden fills with weeds, it also causes me stress.

Do you remember all of the battles I had last year with the yard.  We had bees in the garden and I ran over a frog named Gilbert with my lawnmower.  Needless to say, I was not looking forward to my lawn care adventures this year.

About 2 weeks ago, my lawn was knee high because we had so much rain and I didn't have a lawnmower that worked.  One of the boys from my school lives nearby so I offered to pay him $20 to mow my lawn.  Yeah, it was a lot to pay, but I knew it would be really hard work since the grass was so long.  He came over and it took him well over an hour to mow the lawn and it was HARD work, so I happily paid him the money.

The next day, another neighbor boy showed up and offered to mow my lawn.  I wisely asked him how much he would charge and he said $7.  I told him that he had a deal.  Well, a week went by and he didn't mow my lawn.  A week and a half and again, I had a field growing in my backyard.  I heard from a fellow teacher that this young man found out I had paid his friend $20 and said that there was no way he was going to do my lawn for $20.  Later, when I saw him, I told him that it was fine that he wasn't going to do my lawn,but he should at least have the courtesy to let me know.

After that little confrontation, I was DONE.  I put the boys in the car and said, "We're going to Home Depot."  45 minutes later and one very nice young sales associate who answered this single woman's ridiculous questions, we purchased a Toro Self-Propelled Lawn Mower.

We got it loaded in the car and home.  Danny assisted as I put the lawn mower together and got it started.  One of my next door neighbors, an older gentleman, came over and helped me start it.  I attempted to mow my lawn and about half way through the back yard, the lawnmower began to smoke like crazy!!  I thought I was going to cry.  Danny, without me knowing, ran next door to tell the neighbors that the lawnmower was on fire.  When I finally had a chance to examine the machine, I realized that the cover on the oil tank was not screwed in all of the way.  Oil had spilled out and onto the engine.  So, I replaced the cap, checked the oil and started to mow again.  Of course, the spilled oil burning off of the engine filled our neighborhood with smoke.  Pretty soon, the neighbor's wife was over checking on me to make sure I knew what I was doing.

I ended up finishing my lawn and later weeding and mulching my gardens.  My backyard looks AMAZING now.  I may be pathetic when it comes to lawn care, but I also am determined.  Even though it took me a while to figured it out, I DID it!!!

I fought the lawn and I WON!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I have never mowed a lawn in my life and I never intend to (let's hope!). I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. julie (a.k.a sheridan)June 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

    I now have "I fought the law and the law won" stuck in my head.

    I am glad you won the battle with your yard.

    We started letting our oldest mow the yard when she was 8. (under very careful supervision of course!)

    ReplyDelete