Monday, January 24, 2011

Baby it's cold outside


Brrr!!!  My thermometer said that it was -10*F at my house this morning.  Our old dog, Buddy, who is almost 16 years old literally took 4 steps onto the back porch, squatted, peed (yes, on my porch) and came back in.  He ALWAYS does more business than that in the a.m., but not today.  He gave me a look like "I think I'll hold it."  I told him that if he went in the house, I wouldn't be happy, but I would totally forgive him.

I love living in Maine, but I could do without so much snow and the negative temperatures.  This is January in Maine, however!  Joey told me this morning that he wishes we could move to florida until the snow is gone.  I sort of agree with him.  Except for the January temperatures, I LOVE where I live.  I love living in a community that is big enough to have some culture, but small enough that people truly care for one another.  I love that my neighbors watch out for me.  There were prints in the snow outside my house from where the phone guy had to check my line and my neighbor let me know that someone had been to my house. (She thought it could have been a peeping tom).  I love the my kids go to school right down the street from where we live.  I love that my son has a friend that lives 4 houses down and the boys go back and forth between the houses.

And I love the amazing summers we have!  Mainers truly appreciate when the weather gets nice.

I think that in order to enjoy the sun, you must have a little clouds, rain, snow and bitter cold in your life.  In order to appreciate how truly good life can be, it needs to be a tough sometimes.  You need to feel tears sting your eyes as you walk outside.  You need to feel your nostrils stick together because your breathing in that bitter air.  When you have these things happen, you learn to value the beautiful days.

In my life, I'm starting to have those beautiful days.  It felt like like I was in the bitter cold for a long time, but I am at the point where, I occasionally have those bitter days, but most days are warm and comfortable for me.  I can't say over the past year that I liked my life.  As a matter of fact, I woke up most mornings and asked the question, "Why me?"  I'm still trying to figure that out, but in the mean time, I know that everything happens for a reason.  I've figured out one reason is that when things aren't as difficult, I can look at my life and truly appreciate the beauty and the goodness of what God has given me.

Last night, I rubbed Danny's back as he fell asleep.  That was beautiful.  This morning, Joey gave me the biggest hug out of the blue and told me he loved me.  That was beautiful.  In order to see true beauty, you must be able to compare it to things that are not as beautiful.  I have seen tough times.  When I compare those times in my life to where I am now, I am amazed and grateful at how truly beautiful my life is.  Praise  God!!



 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
~Ecclesiates 3:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment