Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Color Blind

My children are black. I am white. Yes, they were adopted at birth. Yes, I love them as fiercely as if I had given birth to them myself. I often don't even think about the amount of pigment they have in their skin.  Moms of boys; do you think that your boys have more testosterone than you have? On most days, probably not; they are simply your kids. Tall dads, do you think about how much taller you are than your daughters? On most days, probably not. Why should parenting a child of a different race be so different?

I ask this because I had a conversation another adoptive mom today. We discussed how our multiracial families often get stares and sometimes even rude comments about how our children came to be with us. I actually had someone ask me once where I bought my child from. I'm sarcastic enough that I answered "Walmart, they carry everything". I knew that was sarcastic but I'm sure at the other answer I wanted to give would have been even less appropriate.

To be honest, I often don't even think about the fact that my children are a different race than myself.   I am the minority in my family. My immediate family is 2/3 black and 1/3 white. In reality, our family was created by God. He is also color blind. He loves us all the same no matter if we are black or white, male or female, tall or short, young or old. True love is blind to the things that do not matter. My prayer is that I can be a model of true love to my children. I hope they grow up to recognize that even though we may be different on the outside, we are all human beings on the inside that are loved by the same God. If He can love us with an unconditional love, who are we to think we can pass judgement on others just because they may look different than us? Praise God for his unconditional love for us.

3 comments:

  1. LOL - I love your response to that question! I don't think anyone ever asked us/me where we "bought" our children from. How rude! The craziest question I ever got was the whispered, "Do these children know they are black?" No, I take that back. The absolute craziest question I ever got was from an older co-worker who practically gasped when she saw my baby boy and asked, "Brenda, why is this baby black?" To which I replied, "Because his birth parents were!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN with one caveat: yes, i think DAILY that my sons have more testosterone than i do. i also think that it amuses, frustrates and exhausts me. ha!

    ReplyDelete