Sunday, August 28, 2011

Touched by an angel

The show touched by an angel was very popular several years ago. It was loosely based on the Bible verse:

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it." ~Hebrews 13:2


Every now and then, someone will enter my life for a brief moment and make an impact that will last a lifetime. This happened to me on our recent camping trip to Acadia National Park.  My aunt, my two sons and I went camping and decided to go on some adventures.  One of our first adventures was to climb Champlain Mountain.  Last year we climbed Gorham Mountain, and this isn't much of a different climb, so I knew the boys could do it.   I knew if we took frequent breaks we would eventually make it to the top.


About half way up, we stopped to take a water/snack break and on the path I spotted a family.  A mom, dad and three kids.  the two youngest kids were about Danny and Joey's ages and the oldest was probably 9 and had cerebral palsy.  The boy was in a modified jogging stroller and the father was pushing the stroller up over boulders to climb this mountain.  The mother was guiding the stroller along various fellow hikers who could see he needed help jumped in here and there. The mother and I made small talk about how beautiful the weather was and how nice of a hike this was. She then told me that the thing she loved the most was that her family was doing this together.  They ended up beating us up to the top of the mountain and I took their picture, all five of them, at the summit.


When most people are faced with adversity, we take it in stride, doing the best we can.  This family not only faced adversity in stride, but they are excelling.  They refuse to let a mountain stand in the way of a family hike.  I'm sure they live their lives pushing through trials and experiencing life to the fullest.


That's what I want to do!  I don't want to simply get through the trials, I want to use them to push me to be a better person.  Trials are a part of life.  Do I approach them by simply driving by the mountain thinking it would be too difficult to climb it or do I say to myself, "Hey, the view at the top will be worth the climb even though the climb for me is going to be more difficult than it is for the average person,"?  


Personally, I will climb and the view at the top will be that much sweeter.


So, to the family whose name I don't even know.  I suspect God sent you as angels into my life to teach me a lesson.  Thank you for showing me that while things may look really difficult, if there is a possibility, it IS possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment