Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Brother Love


After the blizzard we had yesterday, things have finally settled down a little here at home.  I got the Christmas decorations all put away and Danny and I got outside today to do a little shoveling and playing.  Joey had no interest in going outside.  He gets too cold too easily and HATES being outside.  Ocassionally I can talk him into sledding, but he's an indoor kind of guy in the summer or winter.

I realized today that Joey is really turning into a young man, not just a boy.  He made some very mature decisions and choices today with how he treats me and how he treats his brother.  This evening, he poked his brother in the eye.  They both agree that it was an accident.  Joey was reaching over to give Danny a pat on the head.  I've seen him do this affectionately many, many times.  Just as he did this, Danny turned his head and got poked in the eye.  Danny came running to me and as I was comforting him, without my asking, Joey went out to the kitchen and grabbed and ice pack out of the freezer, wrapped it in a cloth and brought it to his brother.  He tenderly put it on his sore eye and gave him a kiss on the forehead.  As much as my boys argued today, it was good to see this tenderness and care between the two of them.  I asked what happened and Joey told me the story as Danny was crying too hard.  Joey said, "I'm sorry Danny.  It was an accident"  Danny then sobbed back, "That's okay bwover. I fowgive you."  Joey then rubbed Danny's back and within minutes they were back playing.

Tonight at bedtime, they both decided to sleep together under a "fort" they made out of blankets and a mattress in their room with friends of ours.  I went up a little while ago and they both thought the fort was not comfortable enough, so they ended up in their own beds.  I can't help but adore how much my boys love each other.  Even though they fight (and boy to we have some doozies), when it really counts, they care deeply about one another.

I've had people inquiring about our adoption story ask if my boys are "real" brothers.  I don't mean to be coy when I say this, but of course they are.  What makes someone your brother?  Is it simply that they are born of the same mother or is it more than that?  Is it that they live in the same family, have the same parents and they will share their lives together?  My boys, are truly, truly real brothers just as they are my real sons.  We may not share biology, but we share something deeper; a bond that we are a family and we will always be through thick and thin.  We will love each other, comfort each other and think of the others in our family before we think of our own selfish needs and when one hurts, we all hurt.   When one rejoices, we all rejoice.  We are a family and I am so grateful that God brought my "real" sons into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment