Friday, July 15, 2011

Making Magical Memories (Yes, I did use alliteration.)

I have wonderful memories of doing extra-special things with my parents when I was a child.  I remember the time we went to Campobello Island when I was about 8 years old.  My mom used to pack a picnic lunch when we took day trips.  We were in a hurry when we left home.  I can't remember what happened exactly, but instead of pre-making our sandwiches, my mom just grabbed a tupperware container of tuna  salad we had the day before for lunch, some bread, a cucumber and some chips.  When we arrived at the picnic area of the island, probably about a 3 hour drive from our house, she went to make lunch and opened the tupperware only to find out it was leftover peas from dinner the night before; not exactly great for making sandwiches.  My mom cried and my dad and I laughed and laughed and laughed (not at her) until she was laughing too.  I don't remember what we finally did for lunch, but it didn't matter.  That was a memory I will cherish for my life and thanks to my amazing parents, I have hundreds of similar memories.

I want my children to have similar memories.  Even though my kids are being raised in a single parent family, I want to insure that they have as many wonderful memories as possible.  Today was one of those days that I hope will stay with them forever.  It started at 4:30 a.m.  If you haven't read the post, it's sort of amusing. After we got back from Dysart's, Danny took a nap and Joey vegged on the couch.  At around  11 a.m. we left for Sand Beach in Acadia National Park.  We are so blessed to have this amazing national park in our backyard.  We arrived at Sand Beach at around noon.  My boys and I played in the sand and the ocean all afternoon.




We left the beach around 5 p.m. and drove a little way and had our dinner of PB&J on Otter Cliffs.  I forgot a knife (I am so much like my mother) so I broke a plastic cup into strips and used it as a knife.  The boys both laughed at me.   A little later, we drove a little ways up the road and the boys climbed on the rocks and boulders in the park.  They gazed into a crystal clear tidal pool and played tag and hide and    seek on the rocks.




We drove home and both boys fell asleep in the car on the way home.  Joey managed to take a few pictures of his sleeping brother from the backseat.  He soon fell asleep as well.  They got home and went right to bed.

Today was not a perfect day by any means.  Joey had a timeout and I had to speak to Danny several times, but the most important thing is that today made a memory in their sweet minds.  Maybe someday, one of my children will grow up and they will tell of the time that Grammie Judi tried to make PB&J sandwiches on the rock and had to use a strip from an old plastic cup to complete the job...



I can only hope that these memories will inspire my boys to create their own memories with their children someday.


“The heart that truly loves never forgets.”

No comments:

Post a Comment