Monday, September 6, 2010

Ahoy there Mateys!!

In attempting to create new adventures for my boys, we spent Saturday morning surviving a tropical storm and then we became pirates.  We woke up on Saturday morning and it was POURING out.  Tropical Storm Earl was making it's way through our fair state.  We haven't had much rain over the last few weeks, so the soaking rain that we received was a blessing.  I stayed in bed, well, as in bed as a single mom can.  I still had to get up to use the restroom, make breakfast for my boys, assist them with getting set up to entertain themselves so I could work and then settle periodic disputes, but I still mostly stayed in bed and got a lot of work done for my classes.


Around noon it started to clear and we decided to head down to Camden to the 2010 Windjammer Festival.    Unfortunately, they had to postpone the festival because of the tropical storm, but we were still able to walk around Camden and to tour the Schooners.  They loved climbing aboard the ships and pretending they were pirates.  I think only certain vessels were for touring, but if there were people aboard the ship, my boys asked if they could get on board.  Most people were very nice.  There was one family that was having a party and Danny went right up to them and said, "Hey guys, how do you steer this boat."  The owner brought him right on board and showed him where the wheel was.  Danny then asked if we could go for a ride and they told us to come back on Sunday and they would take us out.  Unfortunately, we already had plans for Sunday, but their kindness was overwhelming.  It's nice to know that there are still wonderful people out there.


We then roamed around Camden village.   There were pirates and patriots patrolling the streets.  The boys were fascinated by their swords and guns (they're boys).   After our long day, we headed home.  The car ride home was most challenging as the boys were tired and were arguing.  I never had a sibling growing up, so I didn't get to experience the joys of riding in a car while you fought with your brother or sister.  I can't say that car rides are my most favorite part of parenting.  As a matter of fact, I need to learn new strategies of discipline in the car.  By the time they were having a water fight in the back seat, I had just about lost my patience.  I pulled the car over, got grumpy,  moved Joey to the very back of the van and then we continued on our way.



My boys have been together and with me pretty much 24/7 all summer long.  It is much better for our relationship when we are in school/work as we have a little apart time.  As much as we all love each other, it can be very, very tiring to be together so much.  I think that it's good to remind the boys frequently that the purpose of being a family is to lift one another up, not drag each other down.  When that type of thing happens, one of the solutions is to spend some time apart evaluating ourselves.  What can we do to put ourselves back in a better place so we can help each other.  Alone time is not a bad thing, but we are not to isolate ourselves, either.

On Sunday, I made them each choose an activity and spend some time alone.  Joey rode his bike and Danny played trucks in his bedroom.  As I'm typing this, they are in the living room nicely playing together.  Sometimes my schemes do work.  I'm praying that we have a good day today.  I'm thinking we might go on another adventure.  I'm excited for what today holds for us.  Praising God for His work in my life and in the lives of my boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment