Saturday, July 31, 2010

Remembering Mom and Dad



Yesterday and today are two of the toughest days of the year for me. Yesterday marks the third anniversary of the day my mom went to be with Jesus and today would have been my dad's 66th birthday. It seems unfair that both of these landmark days occur so close together. I remember the year mom died, it almost seemed cruel to have my dad's birthday the very next day. Now, it's challenging to me emotionally to have both days so close. I decided this year that I was not going to dwell on either day, but remember them both and try to find some happiness in these memories. I'd like to share some of the memories that came to my mind today with you.

Mom -- She was the best mother in the world. She taught me so much. One of the things I learned from her was to always be positive. My mom was one of the most genuine, kind hearted people in the world. She truly loved other people and wanted to help anyone who needed help. She was a phenomenal mother. She was kind, considerate and caring. She was the person in the world that loved me most and always showed that to me.

Dad -- My dad was a real people person as well. Sometimes I think he should have been a teacher or counselor because he had a real way with people. He taught me so many things about how I should live my life and how to get along with others. He was very skilled at helping people resolve conflict. He also was very logical and reasonable and could see solutions to problems that others could not see. He was my biggest support and cheerleader in my life! He encouraged me to set my goals high and then to strive to reach them.

Our memories as a family -- There are so many of them, so I'm just going to share a few of my favorites.

Travel -- My parents loved to travel and often took me with them. We travelled to San Antonio, Chicago, Boston, Washington D.C., Florida, Atlanta, Bermuda, Cancuun and several other destinations. Sometimes these were business and sometimes it was for vacation, but we always had an amazing time!

Camp -- We spent a lot of time on Sebec Lake at our family camp together. I'm so grateful that this is a strong part of my childhood and I hope it can be for my boys as well.

Being together -- My parents both highly valued family time. We spend our weekends doing activities as a family. When I was a young teenager, we went on bike trips just about every weekend to many different destinations. My parents also went to all of my school events whether it was a concert or a science fair, they were there. They always made me feel that I was a top priority in their lives. That support was invaluable to me as it gave me the confidence to set goals that were high and then to work to achieve them later in life.



Most importantly, my parents always showed me that I was loved. I hope that one day, my kids will look back on me and know that they were loved. I know my parents showed me how deep and strong love can be and I just pray that I can pass that on to my children.

I miss you and love you Mom and Dad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment